Wednesday 22 April 2015

Glorious abundance



This is our tame pheasant. He has lost his tail so not looking his best.  He pecks at the glass door throughout the day, I think to remind us he is still around. Not so pleased with him at 4.00am when he starts calling. This was taken through glass doors so a bit fuzzy





I have a little patch of cowslips which I treasure. I keep hoping they will spread all over the wood area but still have only a few so really special when they appear





This daffodil is like the helleborus, it keeps its head down. Have had to give this one some help to show its full beauty. I think it is named Suzy. Must get round to renewing lables.









Glorious abundance. The daffodils have taken over from the snowdrops and are everywhere in large clusters of lovely blooms. Really cheers me up when I walk around the garden.





Osmanthus puts on a glorious display every spring. There has been no rain or wind to spoil the flowers. It has a delicate perfume as an added bonus.

 



This is a sad tale but also a good one. This Cortaderia was a wonderful specimen with magnificent plumes. I was planning to photograph it to have a record of how splendid it looked this year. Yesterday when I drew the curtains in the morning it was covered in sparrows pulling it apart. I thought they were eating the plumes and was raging as I feed them regularly. After breakfast this is what was left.





You will just have to take my word it was lovely. I discovered the sparrows were taking parts of the plumes for nesting material. So that is the good part of the story, the birds will have lovely soft nests but I am left with this sad looking plant.









5 comments:

  1. I think that is lovely that you allowed the sparrows to take your Cortaderia for their nests, what could be a better use for a plant? I might even grow one for that purpose.
    Love your possibly-Suzy daffodil, must come round with a trowel the next time, haha!
    How sweet to have a tame pheasant, I wonder what he likes to eat, does he eat lots of the bird food?
    I enjoyed my Wednesday tour of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks The pheasant eats the seed which has fallen to the ground from the bird table but I usually scatter a handful for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, love the pheasant! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The weather here has been sunny and warm so everything in the garden is looking good and growing so well the weeds are well hidden

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful setting to reside in! I wish I could come for a stroll. This is my first encounter with a tame pheasant. How interesting it must be at times to reside together. Well, maybe not at 4am, but definitely otherwise. When I see such beautiful gardens it makes me wish I liked gardening.

    ReplyDelete