Sunday 1 October 2017

Being stretched

Rain and more Rain again. Everything is dripping so into The Studio. It was cleared this week as Fusation another exhibiting group I am a member of brought a selection of work. We were deciding how many pieces we needed to mount an exhibition in St Andrews. More about that next week.






All surfaces cleared but not for long.




This book will be transformed, I hope.
I have been unable to deface a book any book. Upbringing. Books were precious, hands washed before opening one etc. I am taking part in a sketchbook challenge with some friends. They set me the task of using an A5 old cheap book. I knew I would fail and would make or buy an A5 but one member has presented me with 5 second hand books.






I must use one so here it is cut to A5.




First coat of Gesso applied. New pages made using cut off pages.




Found the act of cutting the book hard. A rainy day was just right to get started. Really being stretched to deface this book. May still find it too hard and will buy an A5. Does anyone else have this problem?




I have 4 small pieces of work in this exhibition. If you are in the area please visit. Good gallery very interesting textile exhibition by EDGE members.






I am reading these books for research but also enjoying them. Have started a  beach piece of work. No name yet but sand ripples and findings are the inspiration.



A long piece which will fold into a book for storage.






Painted fabric and paper. This piece will have lots of hand stitching.





Solar lights from a well known Swedish store have worked really well. On grey rainy days they still come on at dusk. How do they work without sun?
Please look in next week to view how I am coping with the sketchbook and to see what else has been added to seven foot long piece.
BYE     BYE










2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are able to work with the books. Some work better than others, as in shiny slick paper not so good. I love that you had to clean your hands before opening a book. The stitching on your book, I enjoy looking at.

    Keep an eye out for wonderful fungi popping up, after all it is autumn and they fruit after rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to see you back in Blogland.
    I would have chosen the Puzzles book to destroy, although I would have had to see if it was suitable, of course. Like you I cannot bring myself to deface books or cut out any text for use. Magazines are OK for that.
    Interesting to see what books you are reading.

    ReplyDelete